Medieval Christian art in Sweden Logo
Fulltofta Church
Medieval Christian art in Sweden. Copyright Lars-Olof Albertson
Medieval diocese: Lund
Province: Skåne
Municipality: Hörby
Constructed
1160-1175
Links
Index
Google map
Description
Fulltofta church was built near Fulltofta yard, which during the medieval time belonged to the archbishop seat in Lund. It was built with apses, choir and nave in Romanesque stile. Outside the apses is a unique ornament made by sandstone, which is only found I four churches in the Nordic countries. From the beginning the church had no tower. It was not built until 1808. The porch was built in late medieval time. In the 15th century the choir and the nave were supplied with vaults. As the nave was unusual long, four vaults were constructed.
The Fulltofta church is near connected to local saint named Manghild. She was a very pious woman; she helped the poor and cared the sick. In 1215 she was murdered by her daughter in-law. She was buried at the Fulltofta churchyard and soon people started to make pilgrimages to the church and her grave. In the middle of the 14th century her remains were taken over to the cathedral in Lund.
In the end of the 15th century the church was painted by the Lilla Harrie workshop. In the choir vault they placed eight apostles each one with a part of the Creed. In first vault we meet Christ as judge with hell on his left side and the heavenly Jerusalem on his right side. Next two vaults tell the story about Mary and the nativity. The vault in the western part of the church teach us about Eve and Adam and Cain and Abel.

The vaults were painted white probably in connection with a restoration 1773 when the church got new windows. The paintings were uncovered 1910-1913. Some parts were restorated very hard, specially the apostles in the choir vault.

Bibliography
A Catalogue of Wall-Paintings in Medieval Denmark 1100-1600. Scania Halland Blekinge. II. Catalogue A-M Copenhagen 1976. pp 134-137
Bernt Larsson, Fulltofta kyrka, kort beskrivning,1996